Gundert Bungalow, a popular heritage building and a tourist attraction, is located about 20 km from Kannur. The bungalow lies on a beautiful hill named Illikkunnu, near Thalassery town, and a river passes through the area making it an absolute visual treat.
This bungalow was the residence of Dr. Herman Gundert who lived here from 1839 carrying out his literary, scholarly and missionary activities. Gundert was a renowned German missionary and scholar who brought out the very first Malayalam English dictionary. He is also credited with the publication of Rajyasamacharam the first Malayalam Newspaper and another publication named Paschimodayam.
Gundert Bungalow, where Gundert lived for about 20 years, is considered as a place of historic and cultural significance. Nettur Technical Training Institute (NTTF), Gundert Memorial Church and a cemetery are located close to the bungalow. The building is an excellent piece of architecture built in typical English style and the surroundings of the bungalow are both serene and scenic.
Contact Details:Phone : 0490 2351423
Thalassery, about 4 km.